"I Believe I Can Fly"
Updated: Jul 18, 2022
It was 1996 the song “I Believe I Can Fly,” was released. I did what every teenager did with their parent’s car; rolled the windows down, turned the volume up, and sang to the #2 Billboard hit at the top of my lungs. Not only did I sing it, I believed I sang it damn well and took no shame in showcasing it! Anyone else can relate? The song was phenomenally written to share with people how to believe in yourself, why, when, and the results. A personal favorite line that I often reflect to is, “If I can see it, then I can do it. If I just believe it, there’s nothing to it……I think about it every night and day.”
Anytime life gets hard, we easily loose a little faith in ourselves. We become scared and lack confidence. When this happens not only do we lose our ability to believe in ourselves, so will others. Do you believe in yourself?
Here are some ways to begin believing again:
1) Accept Your Current Situation; not use it as an excuse, but to make peace with how your situation looks and feels now. Fighting against it will only create more blocks and you will be paralyzed in it for ever. Don’t use your energy to fight it, gain energy by accepting it so you can move forward.
2) Think About You Past Success; whether that be changing the tire on your car, fixing a toilet, getting up early to walk for seven days in a row, receiving a promotion, or how about just not losing your $h*t over burning dinner. Put yourself right back in that moment of success and embrace the feeling and lock it in. Lock it in by writing it down and reading it every morning as a reminder. Lock in the feeling by envisioning that moment first thing in the morning before your feet hit the floor getting out of bed. Like R.Kelly says, “think about it every night and day.”
3) Trust Yourself; it’s difficult to do, but not impossible. It is one of the most important things that can you get that belief and confidence back. All the answers, love, power, courage, and confidence are within you already. Spend time alone with yourself to access it through a guided meditation, journaling, or activity you feel confidence doing and enjoy.
4) Talk with Yourself; What you think you will become. We do it every day by our daily beliefs and self-talk. Tell yourself, “I believe in me,” everyday multiple times a day. Maybe it’s when you have 3 minutes alone in the bathroom, look in the mirror and repeatedly say, “I believe in me.”
5) Don’t Let Fear Stop You; Fear stands for False Evidence that Appears Real. When it is not real or factual, don’t give it the time or day. It holds you back from believing in yourself and will continue to paralyze you.
6) Give Yourself Some Grace; forgive yourself for any failures or mistakes. Give them gratitude instead. Without them you can never grow or learn to become a better version of yourself!
7) If all else fails, play the song, “I believe I can fly.” Turn the volume up, close your eyes, sway your hips from side to side, and just sing right along! Feel it, embrace it, and don’t let the feeling go.
Believing in you and me,
ICF Certified Life Coach
ICF Organizational Development Coach